Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tumultuous Waters.....



i went rowing this morning on Tempe Town Ocean - I mean Lake. Because it is a man-made lake, it has some very interesting patterns of movement. Where we launch our boat, the water was like glass (the picture to the left is right by where we launch - with perfect water!)- the kind of water I always like when I am out wakeboarding! Just a few hundred meters in to the row, the water turned choppy and just proceeded to get worse as we rowed further East on the lake. (I was in a double this morning with one other lady, Helen.) We approached the mile mark, where we usually pass under the Rural Street Bridge. Well, much to my surprise, we had to stop somewhat quickly, as there was a large boat in the way. Boats with motors are not allowed on the lake, which is why I was caught off guard. Well, a passerby told us that there were divers below, looking for a murder weapon. OK - that is not a pleasant thought as I am out on the water. About the time we were discussing this weapon that they were searching for, the wind started carrying our boat quickly to the East. I wasn't paying super close attention, which resulted in an almost-dump of myself and Helen. We ran in to one of the pilings of the bridge - just with our oars, not the boat. It was a bit scary as I had to let go of one of my oars completely. Fortunately, the wind kept pulling us around the piling so we were able to maintain the right balance and I was able to get my oar back. I guess I need some more practice on choppy seas! I really like to row when the waters are calm - and don't like to row as much when the waters are choppy. Hmmm....see any parallels to life in this little scenario? We got back on track and had an ok workout. I did go for a run when I got home just so I felt that I got my heart rate up and so I could burn a few more calories!

No comments: